On March 13, 2015, Senator Ted Cruz officially announced that he is running for President of the United States in the 2016 election. Below is a history of his political and voting history.
Place of Birth: Calgary, Canada
Political Party: Republican
Current Political Office: U.S. Senator for the State of Texas
Office Terms: 1/9/03 – 5/12/08
1/3/13 – Current
Political & Legal History:
1995 – Law Clerk to J. Michael Luttig of U.S. Court of Appeals for 4th Circuit
1996 – Law Clerk to William Rehnquist of Chief Justice of the United States
1997-1998 – Private Practice in Cooper & Kirk LLC
- Worked on matters related to the NRA
- Assisted to prepare testimony for President Clinton impeachment proceeding
1999 – Worked on George W. Bush’s’ presidential campaign
- Served as associated deputy attorney general in the S. Justice Department as well as Director of Policy Planning at the U.S Federal Trade Commission under George W. Bush administration.
2003 – 2008 – Appointed to the Office of Solicitor General of Texas
- Argued nine case before the Supreme Court. He won five of those cases and lost four.
2008 – 2013 – Returned to private practice at Morgan, Lewis & Bowkus, LLP
2012 – Won his seat in the U.S. Senate
Some Key Points on his position
- Expressed concern with NSA’s ability to effectively conduct surveillance on potential terrorists
- Opposes net neutrality
- Supports gun rights
- A critic of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act ( Obamacare)
Below I have provided links to his voting record while holding his seat in the Senate.
Official Website – http://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=about_senator
General info – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cruz